Hendersonville, North Carolina ~ 828.785.2389

May 16, 2011

More Than A Snapshot: Photography Tips | Sunbury Photographer


I have people ask me all the time to teach them how to use their cameras. Or how to make their pictures more interesting. I am always an open book when it comes to teaching people how to do these two things. My desire in having a photography business is not to just take beautiful pictures of other people. My desire is to help others realize how important it is to document their lives with photographs. After they realize how important it is, I want them to know how to create great photos that truly tell their story. After all, isn’t that what photography is all about? It’s about capturing all of our memories as a family.

(Picture taken this weekend.  No one is looking at the camera which is part of what tells the story.  Every one is looking at Dad while he gives strict instructions about riding in the wagon and driving the tractor.  Dad giving strict instructions is a daily thing in our lives! LOL )

For me, my photography business is about capturing images of your families as well. Photos that will help tell your story. But there is more to your life then the photos that I take of you and your kids on a Saturday afternoon in the park. So many things that happen every single day in your homes that are photo worthy. Things, that I for one, want to be able to remember. And since I have a horrible memory, I have to capture that memory with my camera!

(Playing in the pool on a hot Saturday afternoon.  I want to remember those pretty long eyelashes, cute little nose, and perfectly pink squishy lips.  Not to mention the wispy, perfectly highlighted by God, hair falling around her face.)

All that being said, I thought it might be nice to do a few posts to give you a few tips on how to take pictures that will really tell a story. Pictures that will someday bring you right back to their newborn days. Or their first day of school. Or when they were obsessed with Thomas the Train. Or when they went to Senior Prom. AND, my second goal is to take pictures that will help my kids better know themselves when they look back at all the photos that we have taken over the years.

(I also want them to remember their relationships with their siblings.)

So my first tip for you is very simple!  And you have probably heard me say it before.

Get your camera out of the closet
and get in the habit of using it daily!

So go on….
 

Go get your camera out of your closet, out of the camera bag, and charge the batteries.


I’ll wait for you to get back…



OK good. That is a huge first step!

My camera sits on my kitchen counter, charged and ready to go, every single day. That way when something cute is going on, the camera is at my finger tips.

My future tips aren’t going to do you any good if your camera is packed away in the closet!

Taking interesting pictures is not all about knowing all the technical aspects of our camera. There are lots of things that you can do with your camera in auto mode that will still make your photos more interesting. Maybe someday we will get in to the technical stuff. But for now, let’s focus on simpler things. Things I can tell you in a brief blog post.

So that’s it. That’s my first tip. Get your camera out and use it every day. Try to take at least one picture every single day. There is almost always something going on each day that is picture worthy. If there is not, create something to take a picture of!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...